Gamma Rho Kappa (ΓΡΚ), the Greek Honor Society at Asbury Seminary, welcomes new students, returning students, and ΓΡΚ alumni to the 2016-2017 academic year! We invite you to invest time with us as we recognize outstanding achievements in Ancient Greek language, literature, and culture. Study and appreciation of biblical languages is important for every Christian leader, and ΓΡΚ wants you to engage with us in relevant conversations concerning biblical language, literature, and culture while you are at Asbury and after you have graduated. Our monthly meetings provide opportunities for discussion and critical analysis of presentations from visiting scholars, Asbury faculty, and recognized students who present research concerning Greek language, literature, and culture. Now is your time to join the conversation.
I know you may be asking why you should want to join a Greek Honor Society, so we have provided some compelling reasons, such as:
- To engage in current dialogue concerning the study of Ancient Greek language, literature, and culture.
- To discover current thoughts and trends concerning the study of Ancient Greek language, literature, and culture.
- To network with scholars and students interested in Ancient Greek language, literature, and culture.
- To receive greater access to Greek tutoring and resources for studying the language.
- To receive exposure to critical feedback given to presenters and personal work.
- To recognize the hard work you as a student have accomplished concerning the Ancient Greek language.
- To receive recognition of your work as a student in the study of the Ancient Greek language upon graduation in the form of a ΓΡΚ
- To advertise your involvement in ΓΡΚ in your resume or CV.
We want to assist you in your study and love of Ancient Greek and will be there to support you on your journey. Join us, and help cultivate a love for Ancient Greek in your heart and the hearts of others!
Requirements for Membership
What do you need to do to join? First you should evaluate whether you meet our requirements for membership, which, simply stated, are:
- Graduate students must have taken Greek 1, Greek 2, and Intermediate Greek with a B average or above.
- Post-graduate students must have taken Greek 1, Greek 2, and Intermediate Greek with a B+ average.
- Students may petition the committee for membership for equivalents of requirements.
If you meet these requirements, you will then be asked to pay a membership due before you are officially considered a member. Membership dues are $20/year, but we are going to discuss and vote on a change in the constitution to allow for a one-time due of $40 that would provide a lifetime membership. If this measure passes, those who have paid dues in the past will be able to count those previously paid dues towards their one-time fee.
Our requirements for membership are quite stringent, and you may find that you will not meet the requirements until you have been at Asbury for a year or two. Do not let that stop you from attending our monthly meetings and engaging in engaging, practical, profound, and insightful conversation.
Meeting Dates and Times
Our monthly meetings are the last Tuesday of the month in September, October, November, February, March, and April. The meetings are officially from 12pm-1pm, but we invite you to come a little early and stay a little late. The meetings take place in the special rooms in the cafeteria known as Cordella A (for the last meeting) and Cordella B (for the first five meetings).
So consider taking part in Gamma Rho Kappa this year so your love of studying the biblical text is enriched by a greater understanding of the Greek language, literature, and culture. Once this love grows in your heart it will become infectious to all with whom you come in contact!